Braintree District is home to a diverse collection of public artworks ranging from traditional bronze statues to contemporary metal sculptures. Some well known artists have made their mark in the District; Braintree is home to an Eric Gill stone carving whilst Richard, the son of the famous printmaker Edward Bawden, has created glass etchings for the Church of St Mary in Great Bardfield. Most works have been produced as the result of commissions from public benefactors, local authorities or developers in connection with new building projects, and the great majority were created within the last hundred years. Often local residents have been involved in consultation during the design of the work, and they have sometimes also participated in its creation.
The directory of arts in schools is available here.
If you know of other works within the Braintree District which should be added to this list, please contact us.
William Michael Rothenstein (1908 - 1993),was the son of another celebrated artist, Sir William Rothenstein. He was one of the ‘BardfieId Artists’ (see entry under Great Bardfield, St.Luke & St.Cedd by Richard Bawden for more details of their activities). He became particularly well known as a printmaker, and wrote several books on the subject. in 1958 he moved to Stisted, where he lived until his death.
Large drawing, depicting a panorama of central Coggeshall, donated to the community hall by Mr. & Mrs. M Stevenson in August 2000.
N.B. As it is sited within the main hall, access is limited. Tel: 01376 561391
A sculpture of Atlas holding up the Earth was designed for the old Atlas Works site in Earls Colne. The site has been transformed from a derelict factory that produced agricultural machinery into a modern housing development. The sculpture is 5 metres high and fabricated in mild steel.The commission was made possible through co-operation between Braintree District Council, Earls Colne Parish Council, George Wimpey Limited and East Anglian Renovations. Two benches were designed as part of the commission. The design was based on the blades of chaff cutters that used to be made at the works. A 600mm high model was made as part of the design process and presented to the planners prior to fabrication of the sculpture. Paul Margetts undertook all aspects of the commission from design through to installation.
Created for the new housing development by Knighton Homes, the bench is carved from English oak and burnt to darken the wood. The bench features pattern detail with local flowers and fauna sourced from Mill Green by the artist, as well as referencing the railway carriage which was once nearby, and stands on a wooden platform of the same darkened wood.
This community project was to design, make and install a ceramic bird bath and mosaic gothic seat, for a village open space, with children and adults from Panfield. It was a Braintree District Arts Council initiative, funded by the National Lottery Awards for All scheme and Essex County Council. The seat features a mosaic back with dove motif, whilst the bird bath is ornamented around the top with ears of wheat and around the base with casts of the feet of children who were attending the local playgroup at the time.
A giant sculpture of a kestrel. The bird of prey dominates the skyline at the Discovery Centre in Great Notley. East Anglia-based sculptor Jonathan Clarke was commissioned to create the work in a partnership between developers Countryside Properties and Braintree District Council. Clarke was chosen to produce an inspirational piece of work which embodied the spirit of freedom, wildness, adventure and excitement which is the hallmark of the nearby Discovery Centre and 100 acre country park.
The Bird of Freedom, which stands at 2.5m high with a 15ft wingspan is a kestrel which can be seen from afar as it sits atop the highest point between Great Notley and the coast. The sculpture was constructed from three-quarters of a tonne of steel and aluminium. The plinth features scenes from nature designed by local schoolchildren. It was originally installed in 2000, and has become a much loved symbol of Braintree. Unfortunately the sculpture was stolen in 2007, and the artist made a replica, which was installed in 2008.
The birds are made from recycled metal cleared from the Waste Recycling Site before work commenced on the new facilities. This included corrugated metal sheets used for shoring up foundations, steel reinforcing mesh and various metal poles, including scaffolding poles to form the birds’ beaks. The metal was cut and bent into shape, welded together and treated with rust control, primed and either powder coated or lacquered. Some of the birds incorporate a variety of brightly painted recycled car body parts and a motorcycle petrol tank is transformed into the woodpecker’s head. They were made by Ptolemy Elrington, based in Brighton, who specialises in working with recycled materials. His work has received national media coverage including appearances on Blue Peter and The Richard and Judy Show. The sculptures aim to encourage recycling by showing how wonderful things can be done with material that would otherwise be thrown away. Essex County Council commissioned the birds to complement the new recycling facility as part of the ‘Genius — Loci’ or Spirit of Place initiative, which is intended to raise the cultural profile of Essex, support creativity and improve communities.
Sidney Courtauld donated the Braintree and Bocking Public Gardens, originally the grounds of his home, to the people of Braintree in 1888. The war memorial was added to commemorate local casualties of the Great War, and is sited on the perimeter of the gardens, facing the road.
The Village Square is home to a sculpture by Jonathan Clarke, working with Archer Boxer Partners Architects, of a roman military family set up high on timber plinths. It celebrates Braintrees’ links to Roman times, such as the nearby London Road which dates from this period. The military figures are mounted on timber plinths as symbolic guardians of the village centre. The sculpture was sponsored by Tesco.
This seven metre high gateway sculpture was created by Tim Ward from Circling the Square for the new housing development ‘Meadow Park’. The sculpture draws on references to John Ray, with a group of butterflies cut from stainless steel, and is positioned on the route Ray once walked to school. All roads within the new estate are named after butterflies.
Entrance artwork for the Braintree Community Hospital, opened in 2010. A Principal part of Braintree’s heritage is the work of 17th century botanist John Ray who had a keen interest in the healing properties of plants. 'Cellular' highlights this legacy through the depiction of such plants identified by John Ray. Energy is represented by ray / wave shapes within the metal sculpture, set with vibrant glass pieces featuring microscopic cell images. Pupils of Tabor Science College collaborated in creating the design.
Originally, the Chairman’s Room had an undecorated ceiling, but the prestige of the building demanded that a fine painted ceiling was commissioned soon after the Town Hall opened. The paintings were completed by Sir Henry Rushbury RA in 1937. The main ceiling is principally decorated in a scheme of blue and gilt and shows a richly emblazoned map of the County of Essex. From the centre boss are arranged the points ofthe compass along with the glowing colours of the Royal Arms, Arms of the See of Chelmsford, the Essex Regiment and those of Braintree itself. This is surrounded by the signs of the zodiac. The design reflects maps ofthe Elizabethan period. On the lower coves of the ceiling, figures representing the four seasons are portrayed along with the fruits and skies appropriate to the season. Beneath is a cornucopia with lines from James Thompson’s ‘Seasons’. The main colouring of blue and gold was chosen to blend perfectly with the rich colouring of the walnut paneling.
A unique steel, circular bench which celebrates the role of Crittall's Windows in the life of Braintree. The bench, commissioned by Braintree Local Committee‘s Living Landscapes Project to surround a London plane tree, was officially unveiled on Friday 12th February 2010 by special guest, The Hon Mrs Valentine Richardson - the only surviving daughter of the late Valentine G Crittall, who became Lord Braintree and was a former Chairman of the Crittall Manufacturing Company. The bench is inspired by the distinctive forms of Crittall windows and incorporates colour plates of images reproduced from the Crittall archive at Braintree Museum.
Created by members of the local Women’s Institute, the banner is appliqued with embroidered designs showing Coggeshall landmarks and buildings, and was constructed to commemorate the millennium. It now hangs in the foyer of the Community Hall, where it can be viewed when the Parish Council Office and/or the Hall itself are open. Tel: 01376 561391
Coggeshall's grey granite war memorial, topped by a bronze winged figure of Victory, stands in the recreation ground, and on it are the names of the Coggeshall men who never returned to their homes from the two World Wars. The public recreation ground in which it stands is itself part of the memorial, as the land was bought by public subscription after the Great War, and designated as a recreational green space in perpetuity as a memorial to those men of Great and Little Coggeshall who made the supreme sacrifice. The War Memorial itself, facing East Street, was designed and made by Mr J. L. Watts of Colchester. The whole scheme cost about £1200 in 1920.
Commemorating aspects of Coggeshall’s history, the panel was designed and made with assistance from Ehildren at St.Peter's primary school, Coggeshall to illustrate aspects of local history and life. Each child in the school made a decorated tile, the youngest made those around the frame as 3D self portraits, and the overall design of this border replicated the decorated Bressumer beam construction on some of the old local timber houses. Coloured glass was melted to suggest Coggeshalls rivers and church windows, and lace was dipped in clay slip to represent the lacemaking industry. Some tiles were made in the medieval encaustic technique, with gouged out channels in red clay filled in with white clay to create the design. N.B. Available to view during library opening hours. Tel: 01376 561 962
When the Town Hall was completed in 1928, the Council Chamber's vaulted ceiling was blank. This soon changed however when a series of important paintings were executed by Maurice Greiffenhagen RA between 1929-30. The murals were painted onto copper plates which were fixed to the walls after completion; this method was believed to ensure the permanence of the paintings, and also enabled work to be done in the artist's London studio. When the decision to paint murals was first considered, it was decided that they should portray various scenes from Braintree's past. Among which are the presentation of a market charter by King John, the 'Braintree Company' of puritans setting sail for America, and local weavers and farmers at work. Grieffenhagen was a versatile and capable artist, much influenced by Whistler.
Julia Manheim’s cast Iron tablets use images inspired by local history. Five insets in total represent straw plaiting, roman pottery, woven silks, illustration and natural history, all highlighting Braintree's rich heritage. The irregular shaped inset tablets are set in the exterior paving around the building, and are designed to withstand being walked on.
Permanently sited commission for the new Greenfields H.Q in Braintree, Commissioned by Greenfields Community housing and Richard Partingdon architects. Over 5 metres high, the entrance artwork comprises 864 porcelain doorknobs with images fired into them, and the ‘Climbing plant’ artwork is intricately cut from aluminium. Both visible over 2 floors of the building, the artworks were developed with community engagement, where hundreds of images, objects, momentoes, and details from peoples' homes were documented. The doorknobs represent the entrance into the home, and out into the community. The climbing plant depicts the continuing growth of the community and its connections and branches, with stories and memories intertwined and embedded.
The Statue was commissioned by The Dorothy L. Sayers Society, planning permission was granted by Braintree District Council on 15th March 1993. The designer was the internationally renowned sculptor John Doubleday, who lives at Great Totham. An interview with him appeared in the Braintree and Witham Times of 15th September 1994. The statue was cast at the Art Bronze Foundry in London, and unveiled on 16th September 1994. The statue was dedicated by Rt Hon and Rt Rev‘d Lord Runcie, the Society's Patron, and unveiled by Dr Barbara Reynolds, friend and biographer of Dorothy L. Sayers. In her speech she presented the statue to the town of Witham. The ceremony was reported, with photograph, in the Braintree and Witham Times of 22nd September. Dorothy L Sayers was one of the first women to receive a degree from the University of Oxford. She was most famed for her detective novels featuring the characters Lord Peter Wimsey, Harriet Vane, and Montague Egg, but she was also a successful playwright, noted theologian, and scholar of Dante‘s poetry. She moved to Witham in 1929 after her marriage to Arthur Fleming, and lived in Newland Street until her death in 1957.
Ornate stone drinking fountain on acircular plinth, incorporating two fountains with bowls in shell recesses with projecting keystones. String courses and patera. Pediment top with acanthus cornice and foliate panels on east and west sides. Presented to Halstead by George Courtauld to commemorate Oueeen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. Grade II listed.
David Watkins professor of metalwork and jewellery at the Royal College of Art, was commissioned to design the entrance sculpture. His idea was to create a sculpture which would conjure up images of being led visually through a series of hops and jumps and, finally with a large leap, to arrive at the main entrance. To create this dynamic and rhythmic structure he used variable heights and bent twisted and conjoined sections of polished steel pipe. The work runs in a straight line horizontally across the frontage of the main building. David Watkins has carried out many commissions, including the design of the London 2012 Olympic medals.
Probably Braintree's most noted landmark, and certainly one of the most photographed, is a bronze fountain featuring a young boy holding a shell with sea lions around the base. George Bartram purchased the plot of land where this fountain now stands in the 1930s, as he was concerned that the view of the church (which stands behind it) was obscured by derelict buildings. In 1937 Sir W.J. Courtauld commissioned the famous sculptor John Hodge to create the fountain and its surrounding square in memory of King George V.
The portrait of Bartram now hanging in the Town Hall was originally presented by 1400 friends of Bartram in Braintree and Essex, in recognition of fifty years of public service between 1879 and 1929. The portrait shows Bartram sitting at his desk in the Chairman’s Room of the Town Hall with the Chairman's gavel at his side. At the base of the portrait is his OBE, awarded in 1937. The painting was exhibited at the Royal Academy of Arts in 1930 and subsequently at other prominent galleries, and hangs on the staircase wall.
Forming part of the actual fabric of the building, the original leaded stained glass wall was designed by Alisoun Howie. Acting as a wall between the lounge bar and the first floor landing, the artwork is also a centre piece to this area of the building. Constructed from 16 panels the total width is six metres.
The entrance foyer incorporates a ceramic floor designed by Kitty Connolly and Jason Boatswain, who were then students at the Central St Martins College of Art and Design.
Riverside Living Project interpretation panel for theriverbank in Halstead. Informed by workshops with Colchester and Braintree Gateway, and in consultation with Colchester and Braintree Museums services, River Colne conservation group, Mencap, and PORTAL Essex. Gary & Thomas Thrussell were commissioned by Colchester Museum and worked with Joanna Gray on this piece. It was started as a collaborative piece with Artist Lisa Temple-Fox but unfortunately due to vandalism Lisa‘s glass panel is now located in Halstead Library.
Botanist, zoologist, theologian and traveller John Ray (1627-1705) was the most distinguished British naturalist of the 17th century, and was born at Black Notley. Unveiled by David Bellamy the botanist 11th October 1986, the memorial was originally sited outside Barclays Bank in Bank Street, it was moved to its present position in the grounds of the museum in 1995.
A floor mosaic created to celebrate the local artist, Cyril Hamersma, and sited outside the Museum's ‘Learning for Life’ Centre. The design is from several of Cyril's "Squircle" drawings - a hybrid of square and circle. This work was funded by Hamersma’s family, and Cyril’s daughter, Berni Ross, a writer and artist herself, met with Schwegmann-Fielding to discuss the work of her father and the commission. As well as being an artist, Hamersma was a writer and inventor. Born in 1919 in London, he painted from an early age. He served in the Royal Army Medical Corps 1939-45, and taught art to fellow prisoners in Stalag VIIIB. He lived locally with his wife and four daughters, and took caring jobs throughout his life to make ends meet. He died in 1994.
Commissioned by George Yard to commemorate its 21st anniversary. The box is encased in a showcase and sited in George Yard near the bandstand. Materials used in the box include archaeological finds discovered on the site before the shopping centre was built. The work will include online links to spoken word recording of people’s memories.
The old railway line through Rayne is now part of the Flitch Way (linear) Country Park and is also National Cycle Network 16. Just beside the Rayne Station Centre, is a "Rowe Type" Milepost (designed by Welsh artist Andrew Rowe) giving distances to places along the route and a circular disc. This is part of something called the "Millennium Time Trail"- a complex series of puzzles that you can solve by taking 'rubbings' from different mileposts. The Time Trail, including discs, was devised and designed by Charlie Harrow.
Ray Brooks worked with hundreds of Essex people to create a Millennium Sundial as part of the Essentially Essex art workshops at the 2000 Cressing Temple Festival. This is an ‘analemmatic sundial’, which is based on the elliptical orbit of the earth around the sun. On the date path the months of the year are inscribed in the bricks. You stand on the current month and your body casts a shadow to the correct time of day.
The cross, completed in September 2010, was a project involving all members of the Church, and is now displayed on the front of the building.
Community project involving the school, the W.I, the over 70s group, the mother & toddler group and the Youth Club, each with a different section of the overall design. Part of the project also involved holding an Open Day in the Village Hall where other local people dropped in to work on the mosaic panels. Produced as result of a Braintree District Arts Council initiative, and funded by the National Lottery ‘Awards for All’ fund and Essex County Council, the project involved enabling the groups involved to create a design celebrating the group's activities or what the village meant to them. The final designs were made into five individual mosaic panels which were hung on the outside wall of Toppesfield Village Hall, where the villagers had raised funds tor an extension to house the Post Office and Store.
Leahurst, High Street, Braintree, a former district nurses' home of 1939, is designated as a Grade II listed building, and is currently used as hostel accommodation. It was designed by E. Vincent Harris for William Julien Courtauld, with relief statuary and lettering by the noted sculptor, typeface designer, stonecutter and printmaker, Eric Gill, (1882 — 1940). Gill was one of the outstanding artistic figures of 20th century Britain, and is still celebrated for his achievements, in spite of his controversial religious views and lifestyle. He is particularly known for his ‘Gill Sans’ and ‘Perpetua’ typefaces, and for his sculptures for the facade of the BBC's Broadcasting House in 1932.
Mrs Hedges is a bronze sculpture of a woman who is a hedge sitting on a bench - or a hedge who is a woman - depending on your point of view. Her shopping is underneath the bench - it‘s been there so long her roots have grown up round it. The work represented a new direction for the artist in the field of public sculpture. Although still figurative, it echoes Sioban’s more personal studio work, in which she often returns to an exploration of the relationship between man and nature.
Commissioned by Countryside Properties, "Mrs Hedges" sits on the stone bench in the gazebo opposite the village ponds. She is a life-sized lady inspired by pagan folklore of the Green Man - she’s part woman, part hedge, sculpted in 3/4 tonne of patinated bronze.
Sculpture commissioned by Hanover for a new residential home in Witham. The artwork, based on a giant Faberge egg, is situated in the courtyard area, and references the new beginnings residents make when they move into their new homes in Helen Court.
Sculpted safety barrier, part ornamental railing, part sculpture, replacing a wooden rail, installed at Sible Hedingham's riverside walk. Commissioned by Sible Hedlngham Parish Council, and handcrafted from steel, the rail has a river themed design with two sculpted fish, a roach and stickleback, bulrushes and hops. The design was arrived at in consultation with the Parish Council and local volunteers.
Presented to Braintree by G. Courtauld, MP, and originally sited above an animal drinking trough.
Children from Chapel Hill Junior School came up with their own designs for celebrating their local history ‘on the ground'. Their designs celebrate Courtaulds’ association with Braintree as well as metalworking in general. The children participated in workshops held at Braintree Museum and in their school working with craftsman-metalworker, Gary Thrussell and Jenny Claydon, the landscape architect working on the development of John Ray Park at Braintree District Council. Gary attended Chapel Hill school as a pupil and his mother was also a midday assistant there. Based on one of the childrens designs, two unique metal panels were created showing ‘thread’ held on a shuttle being ‘woven’ through a ‘warp’ of rods. A ‘pirn’, which would have held thread in the shuttle, was drawn by another child at the workshop and Gary created a huge ‘pirn’ to form a bollard.
The phoenix was designed as a centre piece for new communal grounds that form part of a £9.5 million regeneration programme carried out by Home, one of the UK’s largest providers of affordable housing. The idea for a phoenix came from Home residents who moved into the Oaks following completion of the first phase of 32 new properties. Residents worked closely with local artist Tim Ward of Circling the Square, a company specialising in public sculpture and environmental art projects.
These railings on the entrance steps were made for the new side entrance created in 1998. The design is inspired by and based on the internal staircase in the centre of the Town Hall building.
Sited at the entrance to the Skyline 120 employment park at Great Notley. An aspirational piece by David Fountain, it symbolises business moving forward and ‘reaching for the sky'. Its form mixes architectural steelwork and landscaping to endorse the development’s green credentials.
The Centre's distinctive roof is enhanced by decorative ridge cresting by local metalworker Gary Thrussell, which celebrates the work of local naturalist John Ray by depicting a wide variety of flora and fauna.
Created to enhance the open, grassed area adjacent to the new housing development at Bridge Meadow, the work depicts runner bean plants climbing up a cane tripod.
This tiled wall was commissioned for the subway, which makes a safe, easy link to the Country Park. Designed by students from the Central St Martins College of Art and Design, the tiles depict a variety of rural scenes and very much brighten up what would otherwise be a gloomy approach to the Country Park.
When Sainsbury’s were planning their new Braintree supermarket on the site of the former Tofts Garage in the early 1980's, they commissioned eight sculptured wall panels from the late Steven Sykes (1914-99). They were carved in moulds of clay, and then cast with a special fine concrete. Each was divided so that it could be lifted and fixed and then coated with special resins to colour and protect them. The panels illustrate aspects of Braintree’s heritage.
The first floor of the sports and leisure centre contains a room used for both cafe and creche. To give this area a degree of privacy a folding sliding door screen was installed. Aust designed a composition of rich colour, rhythmic in its use of space and developing the spatial interest echoed in other artworks throughout the building. The design runs horizontally across plastic laminated screen panels, with each shape individually cut and set into a white ground to produce a flat, easily maintained surface.
This metal relief by Amanda Bright, is placed high up on an internal wall and oscillates gently with air currents. ‘Shadow' is a long, sinuous line of patinated steel with curved metal fronds radiating out from it. Capturing the different qualities of fluidity and movement in the line, echoing the silk worm, the thread and fabric associated with Braintree’s silk industry.
The reference to the local silk industry is also picked up in Diane Radford and Lindsey Ball’s etched glass. Diane Radford and Lindsey Ball have provided nine panels of etched glass reflecting Braintree's textile tradition. The shapes and lines abstracted from threads and bobbins result in a lively whirl of linear pattern wrapping itself around the building.
Richard Bawden designed two engraved glass panels for the doors to the church bell tower as a memorial to his parents, Edward & Charlotte Bawden, two of the ‘Bardfield Artists’. They feature St. Luke, patron saint of artists and St. Cedd who brought Christianity to Essex. Great Bardfield became well known from 1930-1960 as the centre for a group of English artists. Edward Bawden and Eric Ravilious were the first to arrive, living in Brick House, and John Aldridge lived in Place House. Bawden and Aldridge collaborated on a series of wallpaper designs before the 1939-1945 war, and Ravilious produced many fine engravings for books and a series of designs of domestic china for the Wedgewood Company. Bawden became an expert in lino-cuts, and he was in great demand to produce end papers and covers for books, as well as posters, whilst Aldridge concentrated on oil painting. Sadly Ravilious, a war artist, was reported missing in action. After the war the painters George Chapman, Walter Hoyle and Michael Rothenstein arrived and the community was further increased by Audrey Cruddas, a designer of sets and costumes for the theatre, Marianne Straub a designer of textiles, and Bernard and Sheila Cheese (Robinson), designers of lithographs and posters. In 1951 as part of the Festival of Britain Aldridge, Bawden and Rothenstein opened their studios to the public, and this was so successful that nine artists in the village mounted their own exhibitions in 1954, 1955 and 1958, attracting large crowds from London. The exhibitions then ceased, and gradually the artists moved away and a momentous period in the life of the village was over. Richard Bawden, born in 1936, is a noted painter, printmaker and designer in his own right, with work in many important public collections. He lives and works in Suffolk.
Located on the staircase, the window shows the arms of Braintree Urban District Council at the top as a banner mounted on a pole held by a female figure. The figure has upon her head a crown made of symbolic architectural panels, and is standing on a verdant base with flowers and the parish church of St Michael’s on the left hand side. Kruger Gray’s signature consisted of a painted German pot called a 'Krug'. Kruger Gray (1880 — 1943), produced several stained glass windows including commissions for the Royal Academy of Arts, Manchester Central Library, Kings School Canterbury and the Freemasons Hall in Great Queen Street, London. He worked extensively with Vincent Harris, the architect of the Town Hall.
36 semi-mature English oak trees encircle the village green and provide the setting for a sculpture by Ashley Hipkin. Nine standing stones have been set in a circle around the green, each bearing a single word of a proverb from John Ray‘s "A Collection of English Proverbs."
John Ray (1627-1705) is renowned as 'The Prince of English Botany‘ and lived in Black Notley, close to Great Notley Garden Village. His books have had a lasting effect, notably his theory of environmental influence, which Charles Darwin developed further in his "The Origin of Species by means of Natural Selection". A walk around the village green will reveal the proverb "Take Time, When Time is, for Time will Away." Installed in 1995.
Newland Street has a rich variety of historic buildings scattered along its length. The new Guithavon Road bridge features a small selection of these historic buildings, condensing centuries of histories. On the traffic side the words of Horace Walpole, the 4th Earl of Orford, written after passing through Witham in the 18th century, are engraved into the concrete, shaping to echo the winding river beneath.
Children from years 5 and 6 of John Ray Junior School took part in a workshop at school with sculptor, Ben Platts-Mills, and landscape architect, Jenny Claydon producing drawings and clay models for Ben to use as the basis of 2 massive wooden sculptures at the entrance to John Ray Park nearest Braintree town centre. The children’s designs were carefully and cleverly transformed by the sculptor into highly successful features. Local naturalist John Ray, after whom both the school and park are named, figures on one of the sculptures. Future plans for the area include the construction of a path and cycleway leading from the Flitch Way between the sculptures and across the adjacent field to the River Brain and beyond. When the cycleway network is complete, the sculptures will be seen as features not only of a major local landscape but also of a long-distance cycleway network linking Bishops Stortford, Braintree, Witham, Colchester and Maldon. As land on which one of the poles stands has been sold for housing development, they will be re-located, and an interpretation sign with seating areas and play and fitness equipment are also to be added by Braintree District Council.
Celebrating the tercentenary of the celebrated naturalist John Ray, and installed on the site which was once the garden of his childhood home. The design takes the form of a large ceramic tile mosaic tree stump, including insects and fauna Commissioned by Black Notley Parish Council.
Also known as the Panner Hand Sculpture it is dedicated to the memory of John Ray. It was installed in 1999/2000. It symbolises the coming together of the two parishes that became Great Notley Parish as portrayed by the schoolchildren's handprints on the higher vertical elevations. lt is situated next to the entrance to Notley Green Primary School - Britain’s first sustainable primary school. Cast at Rayne Foundry.
Still life, donated to the Library by the artist. Ariel Mercer was born in 1914. She studied painting, music and languages in Paris, and met and married John Crittall in 1936. She has been active in many aspects of community life over the years, and lives in Great Bardfield. Her autobiography ‘My Life — Smilingly Unravelled’ is published by Braintree Museum Trust, and can be purchased from the Museum’s shop.
Like the external root crest, this decorative panel takes the work of naturalist John Ray as its inspiration.
This art feature was designed to the village requirements by Flod Fender of Black Forge Art, and was installed in April 2006. The weather vane was made to sit alongside the beacon, and it was commissioned to show the direction of the wind but without the traditional format of cross and letters.
William Julien Courtauld donated the Town Hall to the town of Braintree. The painting by Maurice Greiffenhagen RA (1862-1931) shows Courtauld in a characteristic modest pose. It was donated by Mrs. Cicely Courtauld in 1928, on the completion of the Town Hall. The painting was exhibited at the Royal Academy of Arts in 1929, and hangs on the staircase wall.
A War Memorial to those of Witham that died in the Great War (1914-1918) was erected in 1920. This was subsequently added to with those that died in the Second World War (1939-1945). Ledward produced a number of memorials between 1920 & 1926, most notably the Guards' memorial in London. Others were at Abergavenny, Stonyhurst College, Blackpool, Harrogate & Stockport. Witham would have been his earliest memorial, along with one that same year for Heddon Court School in Hampstead.
© 2018 Braintree & Bocking Community Association.